Jun 18, 2012

What is a K-1 Visa?

If you are a U.S Citizen and your fiancé(e) is overseas and you want to marry in the United States. This visa lets your fiancé(e) enter the United States for 90 days so that your marriage ceremony can take place in the United States. Once you marry, your spouse can apply for permanent residence and remain in the United States while the USCIS processes the application.

While the K-1 Visa is legally classified as a nonimmigrant visa, it usually leads to important immigration benefits and is therefore often processed by the Immigrant Visa section of United States Embassies and Consulates worldwide. If the non US Citizen fiancé(e) has a child (under 21 and unmarried), a K-2 non-immigrant visa may be available to him or her. Be sure to include the names of the children on the I-129F petition.

What are the basic eligibility requirements for a fiancé(e) petition? 
You must be a U.S. citizen to file a fiancé(e) petition. In your petition, you must show that: 
You are a U.S. citizen;
You and your fiancé(e) intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States;
You are both free to marry; and
You have met each other in person  within 2 years before you file this petition. However, there are two exceptions which require a waiver:
– If the requirement to meet your fiancé(e) in person would violate strict and long- established customs of your or your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice; or
– If you prove that the requirement to personally meet your fiancé(e) would result in extreme hardship to you.


Related Posts: The First Step: Filing the Petition
                            Getting Married on a K-1 Visa


  1. Some people will want to seek professional help as soon as they see the mountain of forms, checklist and supporting documents needed. The forms used for adjustment of status based on marriage can also be used for other adjustment applications, hence the confusion and the likelihood to make mistakes. Any mistake in the form can return the case back to you, resulting in delays and even denials.They can apply for K1 Visa.

  2. Yes, the paperwork can be overwhelming which makes applicants/petitioners tend to lean towards getting visa services. My fiance, now husband, almost wanted to ask professional help but I researched all the documents needed and my K-1 visa got approved without problems.

    My AOS is still pending but so far no issues with any paperwork, no RFEs. Thank God for Internet :)


Spam will not be tolerated!